Saturday, 31 December 2011

Interview with the Vampire Mixtape


Scary cover. Yes.

I've been reading Anne Rice's Vampire Chronicles again lately. Very Christmassy, I know. I remember it being a bit of a revelation for me when I was at school so rereading them has been wonderful. Lestat is one of the greatest characters in modern fiction in my opinion (although I think he becomes a bit of a drip further into the series) and Tom Cruise plays him perfectly in the film of Interview with a Vampire. Let's not mention the film of Queen of the Damned. Good grief. Let's just pretend that didn't happen. Anyway, my point is, Rice's vampires are proper vampires and they DON'T SPARKLE! Ahem. 

The film of Interview with a Vampire made me obsessive about costume design, which led into fashion design, so it's been quite formative in retrospect. Lestat is a bit of a style icon for me. He's wonderful. In the books, he suddenly forgets about the plot in favour of a long description of what he's wearing. 

So, over Christmas, my Mum and I decided that instead of playing charades, we should make a mixtape for the first book as she's also been reading them. There's hardly any gothic music on it, so there's a plus. No apologies for the inclusion of a Queen song because no one should ever have to apologise for using a Queen song on a mixtape.

Download link, photos (gory and otherwise so don't say I didn't warn you), lyrics and all kinds of rubbish under the cut. Some of the images are spoiler-ish if you haven't seen the film.

So now my holidays have ended so I'll stop making mixtapes and get back to drawing and exciting things again. 

Happy New Year everyone! I hope 2012 is a good one for you. xxx





 From the dawn of time to the end of days
I will have to run away
I want to feel the pain and the bitter taste
Of the blood on my lips again

                                                                         - Iron ~ Woodkid


Quietly he laughs, and shaking his head
Creeps closer now, closer to the foot of the bed
And softer than shadow and quicker than flies
his arms are all around me and his tongue in my eyes

"Be still, be calm, be quiet now, my precious boy.
 Don't struggle like that or I will only love you more.
 For it's much too late to get away or turn on the light.
The spider man is having you for dinner tonight."

                                                                    - Lullaby ~ The Cure


2046 Main Theme ~ Peer Raben and Shigeru Umebayashi (instrumental)


I'm the fury in your head
I'm the fury in your bed
I'm the ghost in the back of your head
Forget the horror here
Forget the horror here
Leave it all down here
It's future rust and it's future dust

                                                                   - Spanish Sahara ~ Foals


So, choose your last words
This is the last time
'Cause you and I
We were born to die

                                                                       - Born to Die ~Lana Del Rey


'Cos life is long and it's tremendous
And we're glad that you're here with us
And since we know an end will come
It makes our living
fun

                                                                                                - Death to Everyone ~ Bonnie "Prince" Charlie


The blood has run out
Fangs ruin any cute pout

                                                                                             - Transylvanian Concubine ~ Rasputina


'Death and the Maiden' (II) [String Quartet in D Minor] - Schubert


Did the Devil make the world when God was sleeping?
She always had that little drop of poison

                                                                                                - Little Drop of Poison ~ Tom Waits



Blood roses, blood roses back on the street now
Can't forget the things you never said
And on days like these it starts me thinking
When the chickens get a taste of your meat, girl
You gave him your blood and your warm little diamond
He likes killing you after you're dead
God knows I've thrown away those graces


                                                                                        - Blood Roses ~ Tori Amos




I want you to know
He's not coming back
Look into my eyes
It's the only way you'll know I'm telling the truth
So knives out
Cut him up


                                                                                        - Knives out ~ Radiohead


[I want to believe that the anamatronic Dead!Lestat is out there somewhere. Preferably in a restaurant or a supermarket or in Brooke Shields' house.]




Lacrimosa (instrumental) ~ Kalafina



But touch my tears with your lips
Touch my world with your fingertips
And we can have forever

                                                                               - Who Wants to Live Forever ~ Queen






I'm living in an age that calls darkness light
Though my language is dead still the shapes fill my head
I'm living in an age whose name I don't know
Though the fear keeps me moving
Still my heart beats so slow


                                                                      - My Body is a Cage ~ Arcade Fire




Piano Sonata no.59 in E Flat
HOB.XVI:49, II. Adagio e cantabile
~ Haydn


(Lestat's little ditty from the film starts at 3:38.)


Download link -  http://www.megaupload.com/?d=PZSD8EWS  (zip 121MB)

2 comments:

Kailey said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I haven't watched this movie yet (yes I know, I'm way behind!), but this mixtape has me DROOLING. Absolutely beautiful song choices and post design! <3

Laura said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Thank you so much! You're so kind, especially since I worship your blog. I really recommend the film; it's so beautiful. I just hope I haven't spoiled it for you. Happy New Year to you and thanks again. xxx

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment! xxx